Mountain bikers know that once you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. Similarly, after people pass a certain age, it seems as if you’re aging faster. The truth is, microscopically, signs of aging begin to appear long before they become visible.
The good news is, preemptive and proactive action can delay the onset of aging. So, if you want to retain your youthful appearance for as long you can, an effective anti-wrinkle serum is your wish come true.
A Simple Analogy to Explain Wrinkle Formation
Knowing where wrinkles come from plays an important part in understanding how an anti wrinkle serum works. Before going into the anatomical science behind wrinkle formation, consider this simple analogy.
Veteran Tent and Rookie Tent
Two groups of campers set out to pitch their tents in the great wilderness. The first group, consisting of experienced outdoor people, prop up their tents quickly and efficiently. However, the second group of campers struggle to set up their tents. After a great struggle, and many heated arguments, the second group also manages to setup the tent.
However, the difference between the veteran tent and the rookie tent is glaring. The roof of the veteran tent looks smooth because it is spread taut across firmly planted support structures. On the other hand, the rookie tent’s roof looks wrinkly because it is held up by weak support structures. Furthermore, the lack of tension in the fabric makes the rookie tent’s roof sag at some places.
Genesis of a Wrinkle: A Biological Perspective
You skin is a biological sheath similar to the fabric that makes up the tent’s roof. Underneath the skin, proteins called elastin and collagen support the skin. So, elastin and collagen are like the support structures the campers used to setup the tents. Elastin allows your skin to hold moisture and stretch and collagen binds the components of the skin together.
In children and young adults, the elastin and collagen network is strong and free from damage. As a person grows older, cracks begin to appear in the network. At this stage, the cracks are microscopic and aren’t observable. When the number of cracks in an area reaches a tipping point, the skin in the area collapses. This collapse is what we perceive as wrinkles.
So, what makes the collagen and elastin framework crumble?
Major Threats to Your Skin’s Support Framework
Sun Tzu, in his seminal work The Art of War, says “Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.” A clear image of elements that wage war against your skin is crucial to gaining the upper hand and winning the war. The following factors accelerate the onset of wrinkles.
Ultraviolet Radiation: The sun’s rays consist invisible radiation, known as ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The UV rays degrade the collagen and elastin framework beneath your skin. In fact, excessive exposure to UV rays is the leading cause of premature aging.
- Smoking: In an experiment comparing the effect of smoking on aging, scientists discovered that the twin who smokes looked significantly older than her sister who is a non-smoker. Words fail to tell the complete story. So, check these pictures and you will see the damage smoking does to your skin.
- Free Radical Assault: At this moment, there are an innumerable number of biochemical reactions happening in your body. Some of these reactions produce highly reactive oxygen molecules, which we call free radicals. The free radicals corrode your body at the cellular level by attacking the molecular composition of your cells. The action of free radicals is similar to the process of rusting in untreated iron.
- Fluctuating Body Size: If your body size increases or decreases dramatically within a short period, your skin’s support structures don’t get enough time to reorient themselves. As a result, your skin becomes too taut and breaks or becomes too slack and sags. To avoid this, your body must not lose or gain more than one or two pounds per week.
- Tanning Beds: Tanning beds bombard your skin with UV rays. Those who use tanning beds regularly may look up to a decade older than their actual age. The degree to which tanning expedites the appearance of wrinkles also depends on your skin type. People who have light features are generally more susceptible to UV ray induced accelerated aging. You can learn your skin type here.
- Corrupt DNA: The DNA is an instruction manual that tells your cells how to reproduce and create the next generation of cells. With each generation, some information is lost in translation. Therefore, each generation is a slightly inferior version of the generation before it. Gradually, the cumulative effect of the defects noticeably impedes the cell’s functioning. From the outside, it looks as if the cells are growing old. However, this is not a wear and tear issue; it’s a quality control issue.
- Genetics: The genetic makeup of some individuals delay the onset of signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. So, if the elderly lot in your family look younger than they actually are, you might be blessed with anti-aging genes.
- Lack of Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. Vitamin C reduces the impact of UV rays on your skin. Plus, the vitamin stimulates collagen production, making your skin firmer. It also enhances your skin’s natural healing process. So, if you don’t get enough vitamin C in your diet, you miss out on all these wonderful benefits.
- Physical Damage: Deep cuts and burns makes the framework of collagen and elastin tissues in that area weak. However, you can minimize the extent of scaring if you follow proper wound management principles. If your wounds heal well, the probability of early wrinkle formation reduces.
- Inflammation: While fighting infections, the infected area becomes inflamed. This is a natural part of the healing process. But, if the infection is serious, the inflammation weakens the collagen and elastin scaffolding. This leads to wrinkle formation after the inflammation subsides.
Now that you know the enemy, the next step is to arm yourself in preparation for the battle. It’s time to meet a powerful ally in your quest to aging gracefully: anti-wrinkle serum.
How Anti-Wrinkle Serum Combats the Threats
Any potent anti-wrinkle serum must primarily do two things. Firstly, it must counteract the negative influence of age accelerants. Secondly, it must repair existing damage. An anti-aging serum does this in the following ways:
Moisturizes Your Skin: The importance of moistures in keeping your skin becomes plainly visible when you compare the surface of a plum to the surface of a prune. The prune’s skin looks wrinkled and the plum’s skin looks smooth and soft. The reason for this is obvious: when moisture leaves the plums, they become prunes. So, to keep your skin cells from shriveling, your skin must retain moisture effectively.
- Blocks UV Radiation: The serum formulation must include compounds that either reflect or absorb UV radiation. The serum must form a protective film that does not allow harmful radiations of the sun to penetrate your skin. Blocking UV rays also reduces DNA corruption and ensures healthy cell reproduction.
- Boosts Collagen Production: Collagen are the pillars on which your skin rests. Gradually, these columns begin to wear away and weaken. New collagen must replace the old one to keep your skin firm. Unfortunately, your body’s capacity to replace lost collagen diminishes as you grow older. That’s where the serum steps in and stimulates collagen production. This timely boost brings collagen production up to speed.
- Facilitates Cell Renewal: Did you know that your skin completely replaces itself once a month? Your body is constantly creating a new layer of skin underneath your current skin. When this cycle occurs smoothly, your skin looks fresh, vibrant, and youthful. But, if the cell renewal process takes a hit, dead skin cells begin to pile up. This makes your skin look dull and unhealthy. Anti-wrinkle serum provides the necessary nutrients and environment to enhance cell renewal. Therefore, a fresh layer of live skin is born before the dead skin peels away.
- Sloughs Dead Skin Cells: The layer of dead skin cells form on the exteriors of your skin. These cells must be sloughed to give way to the fresh skin below it. Anti-aging creams have component that weaken the bonds that hold the dead skin together. So, you can effortlessly brush away the dull layers.
- Eliminates Free Radicals: Antioxidants in an anti-aging serum combine with the highly reactive oxygen molecules and render them harmless. Thus, a component of the serum sacrifices itself to protect your skin cells. Vitamin C and vitamin E are usually present in the serums to serve this purpose.
- Regulates Melanin Production: Melanin is a pigment present in the dermis, the middle layer of your skin. Excessive melanin production in an area makes it appear darker than the surrounding skin, creating dark spots. By suppressing excess melanin production, the anti-aging cream stops appearance of dark spots.
- Reduces Inflammation: Emollients and anti septic ingredients help infected skin heal efficiently. These ingredients also decrease irritation and itchiness. This prevents you from destroying the integrity of your skin because of scratching and itching.
- Works at a Deep Level: The functional components of your skin, such as hair follicles, sebaceous glands, blood vessels, and nerves, reside in the dermis, the middle layer of the skin. So, anti-aging creams have carriers that allow the active ingredients to pass through the epidermis, the top layer, and reach the dermis.
- Shields Your Skin: Anti-aging creams form a protective barrier above the epidermis, the outermost layer of your skin. This barrier then becomes your skin’s first line of defense against environmental assailants and microbes. Without the cream, the epidermis comes directly in contact with harmful particles and begins to degenerate faster than the rate at which your body can replace the layer.
In summary, anti-aging creams effectively increase your body’s ability to cope with factors that cause accelerated aging.
Anti-Aging Serum Red Flags
Today, you can find and purchase almost anything online. Anti-aging serum is no exception. Unfortunately, this convenience has a dark side to it. Many unscrupulous marketers try to sell you inferior products that are at best a waste of your money. To protect yourself from such scammers, keep the following guidelines in mind while considering a purchase.
- Superficial Proof: Ask yourself, “Is this information good enough?” For example, if the product claims to contain natural plant based UV blockers, what evidence does it offer to support the than claim? Does the list of ingredients specifically name this natural plant based UV blocker in its anti-wrinkle serum recipe? Are there links to academic research that proves the ingredients worth as a UV blocker? If you’re not satisfied with the evidence, keep your money in your pocket.
- Canned Reviews: A good writer can craft amazing reviews that sound natural and convincing. So, it is difficult to separate canned reviews from genuine reviews. However, if the product solely depends on customer reviews to convince you, it’s better to err in the side of caution.
- Lack of Scientific Validation: The seller must mention the credentials of the people who have scientifically reviewed the product. Also, any accompanying data regarding the process of review must be made publically available. Supporting research must be from reputed scientific publications.
- No Demographical Information: Since there is a huge variation in the skin types, a test result that proved positive on one skin type may not work well for your skin type. So, the data must clearly reveal the demography of the test subjects. For instance, the age group, gender, skin type, and ethnicity.
- Inferior Customer Service: Well-trained customer support executives should be able to supply any data not available on the website. So, call feel free to call the toll free number and ask for documents and statistics regarding the effectiveness of the product.
- Complex Refund Process: Don’t be fooled by the money back guarantee. Sometimes, the refund process is too arduous for anyone to follow. So, read the refund policy in the terms and conditions link of the sales page.
- Overly Zealous Writing: Excessive use of fancy trigger words, such as revolutionary, ground breaking, and magical, probably indicates a low quality product. The landing page of a good product is easy to read and understand. The page clearly states what is possible and why it is possible.
- Evidence Based on “Best Results”: The product may produce exceptional results within a small set of people and feedback from this group is often overwhelmingly positive. But, if the seller states that individual results may vary, you should do the necessary due diligence before buying.
Lastly, it is always a good idea to consult a dermatologist before using an antiaging serum.
How to Choose an Anti-Wrinkle Cream Wisely
Using the above guidelines, you can identify an anti-wrinkle cream that addresses your needs and verify the validity of its claims of these anti-aging products. To save you some time and effort, we’ve identified two reliable products: Rapid Wrinkle Repair anti-wrinkle serum from Neutrogena and Skinception Illuminatural 6i.
Anti-wrinkle serum reviews for these products indicate high customer satisfaction and the documented proof of their effectiveness is available on the websites.
Lastly, you must take your specific needs in consideration. For instance, if your skin is generally oily, you must choose an anti-wrinkle serum for oily skin. If you’re looking for an anti-wrinkle serum for skin & face firming, then look for products that work on collagen restoration.
More You Can Do: Moving Beyond Cosmetics
In addition to using an anti-aging serum, you must also live a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, adequate exercise is a non-negotiable part of an effective anti-ageing treatment process. You must eat more vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, lean meats and healthy unsaturated fats.
Avoid saturated fats, processed meat, refined ingredients, salt and added sugar, as much as possible. Get adequate rest, at least six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep, and hydrate your body consistently.
Know the Difference: Chronological Aging Vs. Biological Aging
Imagine waking up on a fine morning 10 years from now. You gaze at the bathroom mirror, and surprisingly, you discover that your face doesn’t reflect the reality that the calendar affirms. You wonder, “10 years have passed, but I look younger than ever. This is a miracle.”
If you begin now, this fantasy can become a reality. Anti-wrinkle serum and a healthy lifestyle can bring this picture from your mind and into the world. Pick just one or two of these tips to start using today, and your skin will thank you tomorrow.