Many women are perplexed by the apparently mysterious appearance of dark underarms. It isn’t a typical topic of conversation, but it is a common problem. What causes this, and how can it be dealt with? In this article, we will explore some natural treatments to help address this problem. Read on to learn more.
Dark underarms can be caused by a number of factors. Take heart in the knowledge that this is usually a temporary condition that is easily dealt with if you know how. You can purchase commercial products or make your own.
Over the counter skin whitening creams can be helpful; however, they may be irritating to the sensitive skin under the arms. If you find this to be true, making your own products may be your best option.
All natural ingredients such as licorice extract, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, almond oil, baking soda and others can help with this problem. If you do decide to purchase a commercial product, be sure to look for an all natural product that does not contain, harsh, caustic chemicals that will burn your skin.
A good general rule of thumb when applying any product to your body is that you should not put anything on your skin that is not safe to eat. There are so many good, natural ingredients you can use to lighten skin that there is really no reason to resort to the use of unnatural, chemical ingredients. The results you get using natural products are not as dramatic as those you might get using commercial products; however, they are sustainable. When you use natural ingredients consistently and in the long term, you can expect safe and effective results.
Here are a Few Natural Ingredients You May Wish to Explore to Help Lighten Dark Underarms:
- Use almond oil to lighten skin tone and provide natural hydration. It is an excellent ingredient to use in many daily skin care applications.
- As an occasional treatment, a paste of horseradish paste will help lighten the skin. Apply it, leave it for fifteen minutes and rinse it off with cool water.
- Turmeric is an amazing spice that has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and can be very effective when mixed with natural oils to form a paste to be used as a mask. This paste can be applied to underarms and rinsed off after 15 or 20 minutes.
- Plain yogurt lightens and conditions skin. Use it on its own or as the “carrier” ingredient for other lightening substances.
- Licorice extract may be added to other substances (such as yogurt) or a chilled licorice tea can be used as an after treatment toner for added lightening power.
- You’ve seen people use cucumber slices to tone and tighten the skin around the eyes. You can also use this type of treatment to tone and lighten the skin under your arms.
- The citric acid in lemon juice is a natural skin lightener. Use lemon juice alone as a treatment or add it to other naturally lightening ingredients. Lemon oil is also helpful.
- Strongly brewed chamomile tea can lighten your skin and your hair! If you have blond hair, a rinse of chamomile tea will brighten it. You can also soak a paper towel or sponge with chamomile tea and apply it as a pack under your arms. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes and then just leave on. No need to rinse.
- Grapefruit extract and grapefruit essential oil have antibiotic and anti-fungal properties and can help lighten underarm skin and reduce odor.
- Baking soda has natural lightening properties and can act as a deodorant. After any other treatment for dark skin under your arms, apply baking soda as a powder to brighten your skin and keep you dry and odor free.
Tips & Tricks To Help You Apply These Natural Solutions
When using an oil based mixture, you may wish to simply apply the mixture lightly as a moisturizer. Alternately, you may apply it more heavily and leave it in place for 15 – 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
Light liquids, such as lemon juice and tea can be used as a base for other ingredients. They can also be applied chilled after a more intensive treatment. This is refreshing and helps tone the skin.
Powders can be combined with baking soda to finish up your treatment and provide lightening and protection against dampness and odor all day. One exception to this is that turmeric powder should always be combined with a natural oil because this helps release its naturally healing properties. Turmeric and almond oil make a nice moisturizing, conditioning skin lightening mixture.
You should mix them into a paste and allow the oil and turmeric to “mingle” for half an hour or more before using. You can mix this up in advance as it will store without spoiling.
By using these simple, homemade treatments in a consistent manner you can gradually lighten the skin under your arms. Be advised that dark underarm skin is often caused by a mild fungal infection. For this reason, use of acidic ingredients, healing ingredients and anti-fungal ingredients in a consistent, ongoing basis can help create an environment that is not conducive to fungal growth.
If you experience itching and rash under your arms, you may wish to try an over the counter anti-fungal cream to get the problem under control. Once it is resolved, be sure to use the natural ingredients listed here to maintain an “underarm environment” that is hostile to fungal growth.