Your skin is a road map of your life. It can show damage from sun, acne and other issues you’ve had over the years. Skin is very delicate and damage to the face is usually pretty obvious.
Acne scars can easily develop where you’ve had any acne. Those cystic blemishes can leave behind a scar that looks like a pock mark or it can leave so many in one area that you feel like you have a crater on your face. The more you expose your face to the sun, the more your acne scars will show up. The reason for this is the ultraviolet light rays stimulate the production of melanocytes which produce pigment in the skin. This darkens the skin and leads to a more prominent acne scar.
If you are one of the millions that have suffered from acne, you likely have scars that you’d love to be rid of. Skin lighteners can be very useful in reducing the appearance of acne scars. Here are some ways to get you started on reducing the appearance of your acne scars.
There are many skin lighteners on the market today. You can choose to purchase a high priced skin lightener that promises to reduce the appearance of your acne scars if you so desire, or you can simply use good old fashioned lemon juice. The choice is up to you.
Expensive skin lighteners will also offer emollients that will help to soften and smooth the skin as well as lighten the skin. Lemon juice is available in your grocer or even many convenience stores for a fraction of the cost. It’s all up to you which method you choose.
Some people prefer to combine lemon juice with honey, aloe and the like and create their own skin lightener. Some people use both commercial products as well as lemon juice to lighten their acne scars. If this is you and you experience any skin irritation stop using it immediately and go to only one product or the other until you determine which product you’re allergic to.
It’s Important That You Remember a Few Quick Rules of Thumb When Using Skin Lighteners For Your Acne Scars:
- If you’re going out in the sun make sure to rinse the lemon juice off of your skin completely so that you won’t blister. Lemon juice can cause blistering when skin is exposed to the sun due to the high content of citric acid. On commercial products make sure that you read the directions and follow them to the letter to protect your newly lightened skin.
- Apply a sun screen every day and reapply as necessary. If you’re out in the sun for longer periods of time, reapply more often in order to help maintain your newly reduced acne scars.
- Consider wearing a floppy hat as well as using the sunscreen whenever you’re out of doors.
- Use the highest SPF sunscreen that you can find or buy in your area, or at least an SPF 30 will protect your skin from the suns damaging rays. Your goal is to protect your skin from the suns harsh rays so don’t be afraid to try a higher SPF.
- Remember to apply any lightener only as directed so as to not irritate your skin.
- Remember, you can still get a sunburn even on a cloudy day so always apply sunscreen even if it is cloudy outside.
- After you’ve reached your goal of reducing your acne scars, lemon juice and some of the commercial products should not be used daily but rather only a few times per week.
If you have very sensitive skin, always check an area that isn’t very noticeable before using the product on your entire face and neck. This could save you a lot of embarrassment and discomfort in the long run.
Skin lighteners work by bleaching the skin. Read your label carefully and make sure you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients in your product.
Lemon juice works because of the citric acid in the lemon. If you have any citrus allergies you won’t want to use any lemon juice on your face or any products that contain lemon juice.
Many people complain that their acne scars aren’t being reduced by using a skin lightener. If this is you, make sure that you’re following the directions on the product that you’re using. If you’re using lemon juice, make sure you’re using it at least once per day until you see results.
Results will not be instantaneous. It takes time to undo the damage caused by acne. It may be two weeks or more before you see any results from your skin lightening treatment to reduce acne scars.
Now that you know how to reduce the appearance of your acne scars by using lighteners, you can begin to reverse the damage that has been inflicted on your skin.
Remember that you’ll have to be patient, diligent and consistent in applying skin lightener. Once your acne scars are reduced you will likely need to be on a “maintenance” program for the remainder of your life.
If you have any questions regarding using skin lighteners you can consult with your doctor or dermatologist for more detailed information regarding the proper products to try or the procedure that will work best for your specific needs and requirements.